Thursday, November 21, 2013

Republican Party

I was looking through my Grandma's photo albums before the 2013 Elections and came across an interesting letter written by George E. Bradt of Everett, Washingon in 1977. George was the father of a gentleman my Grandma dated on and off. The following post is more a thought experiment for me to think that it could've been my great great, great, Grandpa who wrote the Republican Party Platform by candlelight in a Wisconsin barn, the same political party that helped to emancipate the slaves during the Civil War.

I date the letter to 1977 based on information about George's birthday and Watergate....Read

"I am past 90 years old. I was raised in a Republican home in Wisconsin. My Grandfather, William Bradt, was one of the men who wrote the platform for the Republican Party when it was born. It, the Party, was born in a barn at night by lantern light in Ripon, Wisconsin in 1854 and in 1861 Lincoln was elected President and he is the man who buildt the Party.

Sheldon Bradt, my Father, was a soldier in the Civil War during the latter part of President Lincoln's term in office. My father was taken prisoner and was in Andersonville prison. President Lincoln got him exchanged for Southern prisoners.

You can see why I have a soft spot in my heart for the Republican Party. I was raised in a very strong Republican home but I changed to the Democrat Part when I was 24 years old.

I would like to see the Republican Party clean up this racketeering mess that President Nixon has gotten us into and I know we Democrats will help. I would like to see our old clean Two Party system in power once more.

We will have have to get Nixon out first and it should be done before the next election. I just can't trust Nixon on foreign affairs, which badly need expert attention now before it is to late.
I have lived under both Party's since President Chester. Arthur and I have enjoyed a lot of good political life until now. I am not enjoying this mess and I wonder if I will get to live again, under our good old Two Party System.

I would like to pass on the words of President John Adams, "I Pray Heaven to Bestow the Brest of Blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise men ever rule under this Roof
George E. Bradt."

Such a close connection to the foundation of a political party that did so much for the United States.

No comments: