Friday, April 12, 2013

Swallow your words.

I couldn't take it anymore. My eyes were glazing over with sheer boredom from the United States history, Cold War, blah, blah, blah, and besides I was tired of counting the ceiling tiles.  I quickly raised my hand and just as fast I cut her off, "I think the United States has the most boring history of all the world." She shot right back, "I disagree with you. I find it fascinating." I felt a certain sense of commadrie with the few individuals who agreed, but the moment was fleeting. What was I going to change by merely stating my opinion? Would the Washington Board of Education change the entire curriculum because of some tall lanky uninterested teenager. Awww hell no.

And yet, years later, I wonder why that moment in my high school career stuck out to me the most. There wasn't anything particularly unique about the situation. She didn't even skip a beat or pause to reflect or respond with something insightful or witty.

And years later, I find myself trying to swallow those words in the most dignified manner as I am seriously considering becoming a history teacher.

And granted, I could've vocalized an insult about someone or simply walked out. Either way, be careful what you say as your words may become your next meal.

No comments: